SUP Accessory Choice
WHAT SUP LEASH DO I NEED?
While not always required, a leash is a good idea as it is what keeps you attached to the board if you fall off. Stand up paddle board leashes are especially useful in choppy conditions or when catching waves.
There are two styles of leashes:
- Coil: This leash is designed to stretched out when under tension (ensures your board is at safe distance when you fall off) and to coil up compactly when paddling. This helps prevent the leash from dragging in the water.
- Standard: This is a regular cord leash similar to surf board leashes. These are less likely to tangle if you are moving around on the board. They will drag in the water but are usually lighter than a coil leash.
A general rule of thumb is to have a leash as long as your board. For stand up paddle that can get pretty long. Depending on your skill level and paddle style this can vary. A leash that is within a couple feet of the length of your board will usually do the trick.
- Longer: Allows the board to float further away reducing risk of the board hitting you. Good in choppy or surf conditions.
- Shorter: Keeps the board closer to you if you fall off. Often preferred in flat water as there is a much lower risk of a wave pushing the board into you.
WHAT SUP PADDLE COVER DO I NEED?
Paddle covers offer protection for your paddle when you are not in the water or travelling. You can purchase three different types of paddle covers:
- Fixed length bag - Maximum protection for cut-to-length paddles
- Adjustable length bag - Maximum protection for adjustable paddles
- Blade cover - Light weight protection for blade the of paddles.
DO I NEED A SUP BOARD BAG?
SUP board bags are the perfect accessory for keeping your paddle board protected when in storage or in transit. King of Watersports offers SUP board bags for all shapes & sizes.
DO I NEED A WINDSURF RIG?
A windsurf rig offers an extra option with your stand up paddle board. SUPing can become difficult when the wind is up but when you attach a windsurf rig, the fun will continue. You can purchase two different types of windsurfing rigs:
- Solid Windsurf Rig - High performance
- Inflatable Windsurf Rig - Light & easy to transport
Please be sure you have a SUP board with a windsurf rig attachment point before you purchae a windsurf rig to avoid disappointment.